Slithereen Guard Slardar (aka Slard) - All-rounder (anti-invisible, chaser, semi-carry and anti-carry) build
Slardar is a good and dependable semi-carry/ anti-invisible / anti-carry/ chaser; Slardar is a teamplayer with his amplify damage ulti skill, as well as being a good disabler of carries of the opposite team due to his bash and crush; in this build we try new things and focus on slardar to contribute in a maximal disabling and high dps-ing manner (close to full carry slardar) to team clashes, to have fun with a Slardar who is an allrounder and no walk over regardless his opponent.
The Slardar in this guide remains very effective against carries; casters and invisible heroes. His only remaining weaknesses are mass-disablers; image heroes and extreme high damage burst damage (especially when he himself takes additional damage (innate sprint ability/berserk of mask of madness).
Attribute Type: Strength
Attack type: Melee
Roles: anti-invisible; semi-carry; anti-carry; chaser; all-rounder
Very Short Guide:
Lane: with a partner; preferably with good harass opportunities and another stun
After armlet your strong mid game begins
After mask of madness his damage output in this stage of the game is beyond all other heroes but only for a short while: capitalize on this!
Orchid to disable disablers/stunners or save allies
Good: extremeley good against heroes without escape mechanism; carries and casters.
Bad: against full carries (e.g. mortred; lanaya; troll; syllabear; slithice; void; phantom lancer), bashers (troll; barathrum; slardar; void; syllabears entangle; cranium basher users); bad against team situations (syllabear + bear; slithice; chaos knight; phantom lancer; chen the holyknight; mantastyle; dirge). Special mention: Leviathan's craken shell can remove Slardar's ulti, same applies for Slark's dark pact ability; do not be overly afraid: Slardar's amplify damage ulti has short cooldown and low manacost.
Skill build: slithereen crush has priority; take amplify damage whenever possible; take one point in sprint and prioritize Bash after and finish with stats
Combo the hunter: activate sprint and amplify damage or vice versa (activate armlet); chase open with slithereen crush; activate mask of madness and(let the bashing begin!) directly afterwards soulburn the target to prevent casting of skills or to start amplifying your damage, recast another slithereen crush --> hopefully kill; use slithereen crush/sprint/mask of madness to help you flee.
Combo the teamplayer/ in teamfights: target the invisible hero/team target with amplify damage and/or soulburn, group stun with slithereen crush; chase down any survivors with sprint and bash heir carry to oblivion.
Item Build (Itemleri)
- Start: stout shield + quelling blade and 1 STAT branch: result a slardar that can farm fast in lane and has decent protection
- 1. gloves of haste
- 2. belt of giant strength
- 3. boots of speed --> complete powertreads
- 4. gloves of haste
- 5. blades of attack
- 6. helm of iron will
- 7. armlet of mordiggan recipe --> armlet of mordiggian completed: strong mid-game
- 8. mask of death
- 9. mask of madness recipe --> mask of madness completed: very strong mid-game --> mind that mask of madness and sprint activation do not stack but compete (last one overrules)
- discard quelling blade
- 10. 3*sobi mask
- 11. 3*robe of the magi
- 12. 3*quarter staff --> complete orchid malevolence
- 13. vitality booster
- 14. messersmid reaver
- 15. heart of tarasque recipe --> heart of tarasque completed: perma-armlet
- 16. hyperstone
- 17. chain mail
- 18. plate mail
- 19. assault cuirass recipe --> assault cuirass completed
The bold parts above form the core items of this item build.
- Replace mask of madness with desolator: maximum negative armour slardar
- Replace heart of tarrasque with buriza = maximize damage per second
Steroid items - activation equals huge gains, but at high cost to self. Below explanations why these controversial items have synergy with Slardar:
- Armlet: enormously strong on STR heroes in general and slardar in particular, but has drawback of 35 health loss per second. slardar copes with this by 3 of his 4 skills: slithereen crush: stun those to limit your damage, amplify: amplifies physical damage of which armlet and mask of madness are the cheapest sources, bash: stun those to limit your damage and armlet also provides a nice increase in attack speed and thus bash chance.
- Mask of Madness: enormous gain in attackspeed (non-aglity based), decent lifesteal an some movement bonus percentage as well, but drawback 30% increased damage. Slardar copes with this by 3 of his 4 skills: slithereen crush: stun those to limit your damage, amplify: amplifies physical damage and lifeleech of this damage you deliver to others of which mask of madness (especially combined with armlet) is a very good source, bash: stun those to limit your damage and mask of madness provides the best increase in attack speed and thus bash chance. Note that for slardar mask of madness has the additional drawback that you can not use sprint and mask's frenzy simultaneously.
- good laning starting items: stout shield + quelling blade: offers protection against (ranged) dps heroes and allows for some jungling
- good anti-invisible hero: spammable amplify damage and orchid means you never need to miss a pesky invisible hero once he dares to show himself.
- good antimage: silence through soulburn; insane armour down through amplify damage and assault cuirass and bashes and spammable aoe crush combined with high ms of sprint or mask of madness are hell to them
- good as: all items except heart; increasing survivability; slardar loves attckspeed due to amplify and especially bash.
- support: team fights and dependable; soulburn silence + amplify damage and slithereen crush
- decent health: good strength: powertreads, armlet and heart combined with high armor: armlet and assault cuirass; attack speed equals more bashes and more lifesteal, equals more survival
- good escapes/survival: sprint; crush; bash; soulburn silence;
- disable: soulburn; slithereen crush
- slow: bash and crush
- good dps: all items add up to good dps; although far less than a slardar dps build (desolator) --> soulburn damage does amplify
- easy build up of items: only assault cuirass and heart need secret shop to build
- build is not cast in stone/ flexibility: limited core items to 3; drawbacks can be 'cured', although losing benefits of the discarded items
- good mana regeneration: orchid malevolence ensures that skills are spammable
- alternative and fun items
- starting items are fully wasted in final item sets --> cure start with belt of gaint strength
- slardar is not that mana dependant: too much mana regeneration from orchid malevolance
- a not so dpsing slardar (not even half of the item-dependant dps that could be obtained for this money) --> cure: go full dps items: desolator; divine rapier; monkey king bar and buriza do kanyon
- no evasion: can in potential be permabashed/destroyed by dps-ing/bashing full carries --> cure: get butterfly and/or eul's scepter of divinity (tornado) and/or guinsoo scythe of the vise (hex)
- weak against % based heroes: necromancer, huskar, naix and blademail --> cure get blademail: damage return; and/or armour (naix); get hood of defiance/pipe and/or black king bar (huskar; necromancer; blademail)
- does not function well against heroes with evasive protection --> cure: get monkey king bar
- no immolation/ no splash and lifesteal does not work on images: will be owned by image heroes --> cure get radiance or battlefury
- very expensive build --> cure: alternative, cheaper build: only powertreads and armlet are essential and only powertreads, armlet, mask of madness are core. Very cheap alternative item with high synergy is blademail instead of assault cuirass (blademail also returns additional damage due to mask's frenzy or sprint).
Other hero guides, item builds and more information about DotA can be found by clicking here.